Praise God for a Job

I paid my bills tonight. Two online, one on the phone, wrote four checks and I'll pay one by phone tomorrow during business hours. As I slapped stamps and return addresses on the envelopes of the checks, I realized how lucky I am to be able to pay them all on time.

I've been through times in my life where I couldn't pay my medical bills -- where I let them go into delinquency because I simply didn't have enough money or anywhere to get it. So many people are in that position right now. Two of my own family members are currently in that boat -- so are thousands upon thousands of fellow Americans who have only recently been laid off because of the economy.

I never thought I'd be happy to pay bills, but I'm thrilled. Right now I find myself on the verge of tears for all the people out there who can't pay theirs. I just wrote away over half my paycheck and I praise God that I have the money to do it. God has been so good to me.

Reviews are coming up this month at work. I really have no reason to fear for my job, but there's that twinge in the back of mind that thousands of people out there had no reason to expect to lose theirs. I pray that God continues to take care of us all.

2 Comments:

Blogger protomech said...

It's a bit more than thousands.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/mmls.nr0.htm

"For all of 2008, on a not seasonally adjusted basis, the total numbers of mass layoff events at 21,137, and initial claims at 2,130,220, reached their highest annual levels since 2001 and 2002, respectively."

Oddly, there wasn't as much crying in the media back in 2001. I guess the economy was (perceived to be) stronger, and some of the tech glut jobs were able to be absorbed by other industries.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Chad said...

I know exactly what you mean, been thinking a lot of the same things lately.

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





Powered by Blogger


eXTReMe Tracker