Super easy awesome turkey dinner.

I made turkey and wild rice for dinner tonight. All the recipies for turkey and rice in the crock pot involved too many ingredients and chopping vegetables. Fuck that, I wanted something easy. I made up my own way and hoped for the best. I wasn't sure I would like it but it came out unbelievably awesome. I'll be adding this to my cooking for guests repertoire.

Here's the Recipe:

INGREDIENTS
* 1 Turkey loin (I used dijon turkey loin but any flavor/marinade is fine)
* 1 cup wild rice mix (I used "Lunderberg Gourmet Wild Rice Blend" which contains long grain brown rice, sweet brown rice, wild rice, whole grain wehani rice, and whole grain black japonica rice)
* 14 oz chicken broth
* 6 oz water
* Turkey gravy (I used a jar)

DIRECTIONS
* Put the turkey loin in the crock pot.
* Pour rice around the side of the turkey (try to keep it all as low in the pot as possible -- not on top of the turkey).
* Add chicken broth and water.
*Cover and cook on low until rice absorbs the liquid and turkey can be pulled apart with a fork. (Note: the water collects on top of the rice, you'll have to stir it to see if it's properly absorbed -- you don't want bone dry rice) I cooked it 5 hours on low and 1 hour on high
*serve with gravy over turkey

NOTES
*It came out so well that it would be perfectly fine without the gravy.
*More rice can be added, just adjust the chicken broth and water to accommodate larger portions. The rule is 1 cup rice to 2 cups liquid. I use just a tad more liquid because i like my rice more mushy.
*Most any liquid could be used -- I used chicken broth to add more flavor.
*I thawed my turkey loin before making this -- frozen might cook to slow for the rice.

When I run out of rice to eat with the turkey, I'm making turkey sandwiches! Let me go pat myself on the back.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

Sounds yummy. Now I want something to eat.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





Powered by Blogger


eXTReMe Tracker