I resolve...

Ok, I don't do New Years Resolutions. Never do really -- I make wishes for what I'd like to happen during the year -- but they're not usually even things I can make happen so it's definitely not something I'm "resolving" to do. But I'm feeling like I've got one for 2008. And if I don't resolve to do it -- I won't.

I resolve to continue running.

And if it doesn't stick, I resolve to at least really give it a shot. I'm not allowed to quit until I can run a mile in 14 minutes. It'll take me a bit to work back up to a mile after a month off and 14 minutes will be an improvement of just over a minute over what I was up to.

I don't enjoy running. I think it sucks a lot. I'm told that will change when I get up around 2 miles. Thats a ways off. Again: I don't like running. But I like that I run. I feel good about it. And after I catch my breath, I'm proud of myself. But it's very hard for me -- after about a half, I'm ready to stop and after .7, I'm dying. Kyle really had o push me to finish every time. And I won't have Kyle pushing me this time. It'll just be me. But that will only make me more proud of myself.

So I don't know that it will stick -- I don't expect it to -- but I'm putting the requirement on it that I can't stop until I've really tried. I'm going to scope out a few bike paths around where I live as possible locations and I shall begin as soon as I get my running shoes back. In fact I'm requiring that I have to go for a run within 3 days of whenever I get them back. This I resolve.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've likely mentioned this before . . . but I really stand by couch to 5k. Since it's interval based, you don't run the entire exercise time until you've already built up some fitness. But it does push you into doing more. It really helped me get into better shape last summer, and I'm going to start again this year. You just have to push yourself to finish at least 20 minutes; it doesn't matter how far you go or how fast you went. What matters is that you got out there and did it.

I think you should make it your goal to run a 5k race by the 4th of July. That's my goal. Plus, a race is something fun to look forward to. And if you do a "fun run," there will be plenty of people who are going slowly, so you don't have to worry about your speed.

Good luck :-) Your goal is a wonderful one.

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, I recommend the "Seinfeld method" for running (or meeting any goal, really). If you follow his method, all you do is this:

Put a calendar up on your wall. Each day you run (no matter how short or long your run is), you put an X through the day. Your goal is to keep the streak going. If you are having a down day or an off day, you can just run around the block to get your X. The important part is to just get that X every single day.

I've now got my grey's anatomy calendar up on my wall, and I'll be following the Seinfeld method for a couple different goals (bringing my lunch to work, or eating it at home, and going to the gym). I'm using letter symbols instead of an X, but the idea is the same.

Plus, if you do it, then you can post snazzy blog pictures of your X'd out calendar :-)

10:45 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

yes, keep running!

I hated it at first too, but just recently I have really started to enjoy it. Just knowing that I've improved my fitness to this level is a huge reward by itself.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





Powered by Blogger


eXTReMe Tracker