Mac & Cheese Recipe

Wednesday all my friends are getting together for a big BBQ out in the suburbs. We're doing it BYOM style (bring your own meat) and everyone is bringing a side dish to share. Nathan requested that I make mac & cheese. Little did he know that my sister Cindy makes the best macaroni & cheese I've ever had in my life. (Yes, even better than the brie mac & cheese at Chef's Table -- but just by a little bit ;) )

I got her to email me the recipe and I'm gonna step out on a limb here and post it. Better print it before I decide that it should only be a family recipe and delete this post ;)


INGREDIENTS

6 tbsp butter (get a box of the sticks of butter. 1 stick is 8 tbsps.)
1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoon salt
1 tbsp dry mustard. (This isnt required, but everyone likes mine better when I use it versus when I dont use it. For some reason, it makes it taste even cheesier.)
4 cups milk
1/2 pound VELVEETA cut up
3-4 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese , divided
16 oz box macaroni, cooked and drained

DIRECTIONS

1. Melt butter in large saucepan on low heat. Blend in flour, dry mustard, and salt; cook and stir 1 minute. Make sure to stir it around and cook it for the minute before adding the milk. You need to cook the raw taste out of the flour.
2. Gradually add milk; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. It will take a little while, and you will notice it get a little bit thicker kinda gradually. Dont expect it to get as thick as paste or something, though.
3. Add velveeta and 1 1/2-2 cups of the shredded cheese; stir until melted.
4. Stir in macaroni.
5. Pour into lightly greased casserole pan. It will completely fill up one of the long glass ones, but I dont remember the size of it, 18 x 9 maybe?. You might actually have too much to go into the big casserole, so use the biggest oven safe one you can find. I usually have a little bit of the sauce left over in the pan b/c I cant fit it all into the dish. It wont rise in the oven, though so dont worry about it spilling over when it bakes.
6. Sprinkle casserole with remaining 1 1/2-2 cups cheese.
7. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted, bubbly and crispy. Technically, you can eat the macaroni as soon as its all mixed together, but it gets a lot better when its baked for a little while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home





Powered by Blogger


eXTReMe Tracker