Vacation

Saturday, I'll be leaving for Florida. Every year since I can remember, my family has gone to stay in Florida where we own a timeshare. When I was younger, this was the highlight of my year. Then it became the part of the year I dreaded the most. This year is the first in a very long time where I have looked forward to it. That's not to say that I haven't been having nightmares about my sister trying to kill me -- but still -- time off. It will be my first ever paid holiday. And it should, theoretically, be relaxing.

I'll, of course, be sad to leave my kitties. I feel pretty guilty leaving them cooped up alone in my apartment for an entire week. Especially since the last time I went out of town for a few days, I returned to find Jack's head swollen. But at least he will have Tabitha, and hopefully my friends will play with them a bit while I'm out.

This is the first year I've had to leave behind a garden. My mother always loses a great deal of plants when we go. This year, I suppose, I'll have to do the same. I've grown to enjoy my balcony and tending my plants every evening. I'll be very sad if the climbing cardinal dies. I've watched it grow from the sapling my mother gave me to the long winding vine that is currently overtaking the railing.

I'll miss my apartment -- my home. Leaving only makes me realize how much happier my life has become. I don't necessarily want an escape at the moment. Time off work, sure -- always. Work has become a bit of a drag. And I'm dreading starting classes back in the fall. Somehow I don't imagine I'm going to be too thrilled about spending 4 hours in class after 10 spent at work... we should push back vacation to fall semester when I'm sure to be miserable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home





Powered by Blogger


eXTReMe Tracker