Dragonfly




Stained-Glass Dragonfly
Originally uploaded by Blue Beetle.

I figured while I'm in Birmingham, I could do some stained glass. I made this dragonfly this evening. I wanted to do something super simple since it's been months since I cut a piece of glass. It's really pretty -- but what do I do with it now?

This is the dilemma I run into with all my art. I love making it -- but then what the hell do I do with it? I thought about maybe making a bunch of Christmas ornaments for my tree... Or maybe hanging them from various places in my apartment... but then aren't pretty dragonflies and butterflies handing from the ceiling a bit too childish for me? I also thought about making a picture frame and soldering this to the corner -- but then what do I do with THAT. This is the problem with arts and crafts. Anyone want to buy one? Great quality -- lots of different glass options -- 15 bucks.





EDIT: After seeing that one, Steph requested that I make her a blue one -- and being that I'm so awesome, here's a picture of her blue one.

Steph: you can pick it up in Huntsville... at a mexican restaurant ;)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweet! that looks awsome

2:15 AM  
Blogger M. said...

I like the one in gray! I'll buy one.

2:44 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Of course yall can buy some. I'll sell them for 15 and that'll include shipping within the US.

But you have to let me know FOR SURE that you want one (and an idea of what color you'd want) before wednesday as that will be my last oppurtunity to make them.

As far as colors go, this wispy opal grey (the first picture) hasn't been claimed yet. I've got wispy opal in a really bright yellow too and also a purple and a green. That glass with the swirls (the blue one) is called baroque glass. I've got it in blue and in purple and also a mix of black and white swirls on clear glass that is fucking awesome. I've also got a cobblestone texture red, a cathedral purple, a baby blue transparant texture, I've got some opals (like the wispy opal but non-transparent -- gorgeous glass -- tiffany used it a lot) in baby blue, light purple, medium green, and lots of nice redish-orangish-browns (love the browns). I've also got a iradescent coated wispy opal purple. It's a very dark purple glass and opaque -- but it's got this killer iradescent coating on one side. I've also got just a soild white glass -- and loads of clear textures. They would look AWESOME in just a clear texture -- I've done them before. Any of the glass looks gorgoues -- my least favorites (just my personal opinions) are the solid white and the medium green opal -- but both came from a real church window -- so beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Just email me (or comment here -- which will be forwarded to my email) that you REALLY do want to pay 15 dollars for one and give me an idea of the colors you like. Please don't say you want one and then not pay up -- glass is 5 dollars a sheet, those lead bodies are 2 bucks, and the foil and solder aint cheap either -- so you'll be putting me out a decent penny & supplies if I make it and then have nothing to do with it.

That said, I love making them -- and they really are gorgeous in person. Everyone who has seen these has asked for one. They're great quality too. The glass is all 1/8 or thicker (stained glass is much thicker than normal glass) and very heavy. And dishwasher safe! LOL I'll add a loop for hanging on the back too.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





Powered by Blogger


eXTReMe Tracker