"And I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry."

On my way to work this morning, I saw a squirrel holding an entire piece of pizza. He wasn’t even dragging it – he was hopping so that it didn’t drag the ground. How cute! That made my morning.

Reminds me of last week at my mothers house, I walked out in the backyard to the sun deck and saw a squirrel in a tree a few yards from me. He started barking and swishing his tail at me. I tried to give him a piece of biscuit but I think he was about to leap from the tree and scratch my face off. Maybe I walked up when he was about to get his nut or something.

I know lots of people hate squirrels, but I love them. They’re extremely smart creatures with a ton of personality. Some people used to keep them as pets and train them. We had one that lived in the yard of the house where I grew up. He hated us. He’d throw acorns at us from the trees. And I’m not making that up or exaggerating. He’d hit us every time we walked by – that wasn’t by coincidence.

Mom hates that they’re always destroying her bird feeders. Though to be honest, I’d way rather watch the acrobatic feats of a squirrel getting seed from a “squirrel-proof” bird feeder than watch a bird peck at free food. Why don’t they make squirrel feeders? I’ve got a tree in front of my balcony (blocking my lovely view of the gas station), I think I might buy one of those seed bells to hang in it and see what comes out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

they do make squirrel feeders

10:14 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Yeah I saw that after I googled it after I wrote this post. I especially like the ones where the squirrel has to lift the lid. How do they know theres food in there if it's closed? They're a bit pricey though and I can't reach the tree. I'm gonna pick something like a seed brick up at the pet store and hang near my balcony :)

PS: How fucking hard does this word recognition have to be? is that a y or a v or a w? I keep getting it wrong dammit.

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





Powered by Blogger


eXTReMe Tracker