Stabbed with an exacto knife

Two nights ago I had a bit of a mishap. I kinda accidently stabbed myself with an exacto knife. My thumb, to be exact. I can't help it if I get crafty in the middle of the night.

And when I say this, I don't want you to think I'm exaggerating. My entire hand was covered in blood and it was pouring off me. At the same time that I was actually wondering if it could be deep enough to make my thumb turn gangrene and rot off, I was cupping my other hand trying to catch the blood because it's a white rug and I don't want to stain this shirt! And do I have to go to the ER?

Don't worry, the bleeding stopped after I applied pressure for a while. And the knife is brand new so it was a super smooth thin stab. Now my thumb is just all bruised.

I can't tell you how many times I've about cut off my thumbs. Don't let anyone tell you crafts are for pussy girls. You should see my stained glass workstation -- it's totally stained in blood. When you're trying to wedge sharp glass into the square frame using a hammer, there are lots of forces being applied and flux and oil is slippery, and well, things happen.

I think I picked this up from my dad. He used to do carpentry in moms basement and I followed him around like a puppy. All that wood and nails! It was like blocks on steroids. He'd let me play and make things too. I had piles of "toys" I made. And lord I got in trouble when I used a spool of lead solder to make wire sculptures. Apparently, that's dangerous. Anyway, my dad works hard and when your hand gets cut you don't let go cause it's got to get done. He always had torn up hands. Unfortunately, I'm the same way. I know they'll heal and once you're bleeding the damage is done -- you can bandage it after you get that last nail in.

It's funny because if I'm working on something and super focused, I barely even flinch when a knife goes more than half an inch into my finger. But normally, I get upset over a paper cut. That's what dedication will do, baby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home





Powered by Blogger


eXTReMe Tracker