I believe it's jogging or yogging. It might be a soft j. I'm not sure but apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

Do you jog or run? I see people jogging and running and it never occurred to me how hard that is. How the hell do they do it?

When I had surgery in May and had to start exercising, I went with walking. I couldn't walk a mile -- like seriously, my ass couldn't walk a mile. Now I can walk three (standing ovation for me... little longer... ok, now it's just excessive). So I decided it's time to up the ante -- to jogging. And my ass can't do it. My jogging/running is more like run for 20 feet, gasp for breath for 30, run for 15 feet, gasp for breath for 40... You get the idea.

I'm also finding that I have to pep-talk myself to do it. And I don't mean pep-talking in my mind -- I mean speaking out loud. It goes something like this: "Ok, come on. Come Karen you can do this. I can totally do this. I kick ass. I can do this, I can --- ooooooooooh no I can't." *slow to walk and gasp for breath* So I'm, working on it.

I plan to be able to jog/run at least a mile my the end of the semester. Then we can throw me a party and you can all buy me presents. Or yeah -- I could just do it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Leah said...

I jog. It's totally something to work up to. do you have a gym membership with your tuition? If so, go use the elliptical machines in the gym -- they'll help you warm up to jogging by allowing you to do a half walk half jog thing for awhile. if you don't have an elliptical, start by walking really fast (like speed walking, y'know) and slowly work into the jogging. use the speed walking to warm up, then jog a little -- it's okay to go slower jogging than walking at first, since it's a new motion.

Also, I prefer jogging at a track. That way, you can start out by saying "okay, I'll jog a half a lap then walk the rest." from there, you can slowly up it as you feel ready.

I also give myself incentives for jogging. In Aug, I set a 15 mile goal (total, not all at once). I made my goal, and I got to buy myself a season of Gilmore Girls. I'm normally hella stingy with money, so this was a big thing.

good luck with the jogging. it'll get easier in time! just keep it up; you will definitely begin to notice a difference in your body tone after a month of doing it. Let me know if you want more jogging ideas; I'm freakin' full of them.

PS could you start weight lifting too? I hear that that works to help weight loss for some people. Plus, think of the stress relief it could bring. You could air punch with some little one pound weights and think of how much more a person's face would crunch. maybe it could be a psych and health workout ;-)

5:12 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

The only people who use the gym/fitness center are skinny fraternity and sorority members. I'd hate to break up their party. Though yes, I live right next to it and it's free for me to use -- not that I've ever been inside... because I'm not a skinny sorority member.

And yes, I like the punching idea. I also like the idea of getting back some of the massive arm strength I had and have since lost. Right now I'm sticking with walking/jogging/running but weightlifting will probably come soon.

OOO I just sounded like someone who is actually in shape and likes to exercise! That's totally what I'm gonna be for Halloween.

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Leah said...

sounds like a plan.

and, hey, go break up the party. take your ipod and scowl at everyone. it's fun; I promise. Imagine your weights are punching them in the face.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





Powered by Blogger


eXTReMe Tracker