Happy (early) Halloween!



I finally got in the spirit and carved our pumpkin. I went traditional -- sure it's not fancy, but it is fun and cute -- and as the non-english speaking roommate said: "youthful!" I also picked up popcorn balls for the tricker treaters. I tasted one of those balls expecting it to taste like a rice-cake and dang, those things are actually really good.

So yay! I get so excited decorating for the holidays. (I think I'm going to purchase a real tree this year too -- it'll be my VERY FIRST own Christmas tree!)

I tried to explain halloween to the roommate but after I was done and washing off the pumpkin she asked me if we were going to eat it. I take that as she didn't understand a word I said. You know, I'm wondering how she gets through her classes -- she can barely say "Hi Karen, how are you?"

Anyway, back to me and my pumpkin. I learned two things of note this year that all of you should know before carving your own pumpkin. So here I'm presenting my 2005 pumpkin carving tips:

1. Industrial Strength Sharpies are not the same as regular Sharpies. While it is recommended that you draw your design with a permanent marker -- there is apparently an unspoken understanding that industrial strength permanent markers are not to be used. No one told me. I spent more time washing (AKA scraping) the marker off as I did gutting, cleaning, and carving the damn thing.

2. Go ahead and carve the venting holes -- they serve a purpose. I decided to skip carving vents in my pumpkin this year. That is until I cooked a good portion of the lid. I have to say though -- the living room smells lovely. Pumpkin pie, anyone?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Leah said...

the pumpkin looks lovely :-) and I adore those little popcorn balls.

as to your roommate, is she in normal classes with English speakers, or does she take a special curriculum? I had a Japanese roommate, and she basically just took intensive English classes. I helped her with her homework a lot. I also learned that the key to speaking with her was to enunciate well and speak slowly (hard for me, but I had a lot of practice, since we hung out a lot). Also, from being in a foreign country, I've learned that you can get the hang of one person's voice (ie your teacher's) b/c you hear it a lot and still not be able to understand everyone else.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm southern -- we don't enunciate.

And her understanding of English is so bad that we just cannot talk or hang out -- I've given it a shot. And it's not only me that it frustrates -- she has lots of Chinese friends that are always in and out of here and they won't even let her try to respond, they respond for her.

And she's working on a masters in Physics -- she takes regular classes. And the teachers in the science department are actually American -- thats a drastic change from my Math department stomping grounds.

Her English is about as good as my Spanish -- and that's not very good.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Leah said...

oh, man, that's crazy -- you got the short end of the stick. there are definitely better foreign roommates. if she can't understand english, why did she pick somewhere southern? gah (and no offense here), but sometimes I even have problems with it (or I end up speaking in a southern accent, which is perhaps arguably worse). that sucks. maybe someday you will get some good foreign roommates that are fun and actually work at speaking english.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





Powered by Blogger


eXTReMe Tracker